With you to the river

I remember walking with you
to the river.
The music, the sounds of people
and Water gently hitting the bank

The smell of incense is still fresh
and yes, I can still feel your fragrance
as if I am still there
and I can reach out and touch you

Those little lamps, floating around
I remember we were there
to set afloat lamps for your friend
You so very gently letting those lamps go

Those little lamps, their fire could
so easily die, carrying hopes and good wishes
in their leafed world and few flowers for company
The silence that we shared, I still remember.

This one is for a friend I met on my travel to Banaras. Theres a custom there that lamps are set afloat in the river as a prayer for someone's soul or offering to remove pain and suffering of dear ones. She wanted to do this for one of her friend. The river banks are called 'ghats' with steps going into the river and the sight is magical with many lamps floating and there's a constant sound of 'pooja' (prayer) being performed by many pilgrims.

No comments:

Post a Comment