Words about Truth

What Is Truth

It is the foundation of law
and the mystery of heart
and the reason why some have such strong opinions

It is the pulling of the soul
to a bigger goal
free of selfishness and delusions

If it's anything more than a love between mankind and God
when the times of testing come of our joy we shall be robbed

It teaches love for our nieghbors
and forgiveness for our foes
It shows us how we need to live

It gives practicals to guide
toward a conscience life
with a unity that is a mystery

If it's anything more than the debt we owe each other
we are destined to repeat the mistakes of our forefathers

There is more that I could say
and maybe I will one day
to those who want to hear of grace and love

I'll say for opinions sake
history's replete today
with hundreds of all kinds of religions

each man must wade through the waters of what may be truth
or invent within himself his own rules

be careful what you do
don't build a church that does not have truth

"What is truth"

I leave to you a mystery
a poem an analogy
I leave you what is plain to see
a forest hidden before trees
A message few have figured out
I leave you what we speak about
we teach our children not to steal
and tell them how to be for real
and show them by our faithfulness
a love that's full of righteousness
when we forgive the wrongs they've done
and show them how to overcome
the simple things that hold us back
and fill in them what we too lack
when pride and fear get in the way
causing our core to dissipate
then spiralling toward pleasure's end
we kill our little innocence
by doing what is obvious
I need not explain this
we all know what is wrong
we all know how to be strong
we make up our own excuse
and just like Pilate ask "What is truth"

Written by Archie Brown

1 comment:

  1. Introduction: Whether in a good way or a bad way each person has asked his or herself the question of what is truth and what is religion. As strong as my words are in this poem they do not change that I believe each person must be convinced in his own heart what that is. I only present my convictions as a Christan from what i learned and see. I write this because I do not want people to use this as a poem to preach at others or against others. I spent a few days and wrote a few poems on this subject trying to say things in a way that would cause the reader to consider his or her own life. The things written here are universal in their meaning and purposely so, I think God teaches a universal lesson just like gravity is universal life is as well. It's rules are not always seen as clearly or they are seen as unneeded or mundane. This poem will not strengthen or weaken a person's personal belief that can not happen without action. But this poem should pose questions that either draw a person to action or inaction. As a writer this is what was on my heart and so I present it to the reader as such. It has had other benefits for me which i will not discuss.

    -Archie Brown

    ReplyDelete